HFS Born

août 1, 1881

HFS Born

The founder and the man who guided the destiny of the Morgan car for almost fifty years, Henry Fredrick Stanley Morgan was born in the village of Moreton Jeffries, Herefordshire,  in August 1881.

Read more

Motor Car Wins…

janvier 1, 1901

Motor Car Wins…

In 1901 H.F.S. was apprenticed to two of the greatest railway engineers of the period, William Dean and George Jackson Churchward, Chief Engineers of the G.W.R. Railway Works at Swindon.

Read more

The First Garage

mai 1, 1905

The First Garage

In May 1905, with the encouragement and financial support from his ever-enthusiastic father George, H.F.S. purchased a house called Chestnut Villa in Worcester Road , Malvern Link, a short distance from the railway station and built a small garage alongside. Here he set up business to attended to the needs of the Edwardian motorists and became a dealer for Darracq, Wolseley, Siddeley and Rover cars. Harry’s close friend Leslie Bacon (another motor car enthusiast who had served an apprenticeship with the railways) became his business partner and took up lodgings with Harry in Chestnut Villa. A skilled motor engineer from…

Read more

Founded on an Icon

mai 1, 1909

Founded on an Icon

The success of the Morgan Motor Company was founded on an icon, the Morgan Three-Wheeler. This brilliant but simple design by H.F.S. Morgan became one of the most successful lightweight cars of the early days of motoring.

Read more

The Runabouts

novembre 1, 1910

The Runabouts

The first production Morgans were simple single-seat machines steered with a tiller and powered by either a single cylinder 4 h.p. engine or an 8h.p. V-twin engine made by the London firm J.A. Prestwich. A patent was granted, the patent drawings being produced by a bright youth who was later to become famous as Sir John Black of the Standard Motor Company. The Runabouts (as the machines were to be called) were unveiled to the public at the Olympia motorcycle show in London in November 1910. Despite the interest shown just a few of these were built and sold, mainly…

Read more

Harrods

février 1, 1911

Harrods

The following year a two-seat ‘Runabout’ was developed, equipped with wheel steering and even a hood. This proved a huge commercial success when it appeared at Olympia in 1911.

Read more

Four Seater Runabout

novembre 1, 1911

Four Seater Runabout

New models were added to the Morgan range, and for the first time a four-seater “Family” Runabout was available

Read more

The Cyclecars

mai 4, 1912

The Cyclecars

The factory experimented with other designs such as a four-seater for Mr Morgan and his family, although this car didn’t go into production at that time. Cars were built in ever-increasing numbers in Worcester Road, Malvern Link. Not only was the Morgan one of the first Cyclecars, it was without doubt, the best engineered, the most reliable, and the most successful vehicle in its class which set the standards for all other manufacturers to follow. It featured a simple two speed transmission (fast and very fast), but no reverse gear (to go backwards required gravity, or the driver had to…

Read more

Racing Success

août 1, 1913

Racing Success

In the few years leading up to the outbreak of war in 1914, Morgans had secured 10 British and World Records for various classes of cyclecars, won 24 Gold Medals in major reliability trials and had achieved numerous victories on the race track.

Read more

Cyclecar Grand Prix

octobre 20, 1913

Cyclecar Grand Prix

From the start it was very much a family business and Mr H.F.S Morgan’s sister, Miss Dorothy Morgan, was a regular entrant in reliability trials gaining many first class awards in a Morgan three-wheeler.

Read more

Pickersleigh Road

décembre 1, 1913

Pickersleigh Road

In December 1913, H.F.S. purchased a plot of land on Pickersleigh Road, Malvern Link, from Earl Beauchamp. This was open farmland just a quarter of a mile from the Worcester Road factory and here, in the summer of 1914, two large workshops were built.

Read more

Peace Restored

octobre 16, 1919

Peace Restored

When peace returned in 1918 Morgan was one of the first manufacturers to resume full production mainly due to the simplicity of the design.

Read more

The “Aero”

janvier 1, 1920

The “Aero”

Another special Morgan, inspired by Capt. Albert Ball’s specially bodied Grand Prix car, was introduced in 1920. This was called the Aero in recognition of the famous aviator.   So advanced had H.F.S. Morgan’s first designs been, that little alteration, apart from bodywork modifications, were needed for several years.  The car retained its sturdy, lightweight construction and the two-speed transmission system remained in production until the early 1930s. Electric lights replaced acetylene lamps and starters were added. As a result of experience gained in reliability trials, front wheel brakes were installed, the Morgan car being one of the first in…

Read more

Brooklands

janvier 21, 1921

Brooklands

Throughout the 1920s the Morgan continued to have success after success in racing and was so fast that at Brooklands it was required to start a lap behind four wheeled cars in the same class.

Read more

Factory Expansion

mai 21, 1925

Factory Expansion

Throughout the 1920s the Pickersleigh Road factory had been enlarged still further and this artists impression from 1925 shows six rows of workshops.

Read more

The Super Aero

mai 21, 1927

The Super Aero

Racing successes encouraged the introduction of another sporting model in 1927, called the Super Aero with lowered streamlined bodywork. Following the successes of the earlier cars, the Super Aero was immediately in action on the trials hills and on the race track.  Not only were the cars dominant in motorsport, they were now one of the most fashionable machines to be seen driving on the open road.

Read more

One hour World Record

janvier 1, 1930

One hour World Record

In 1930 Mrs. Gwenda Stewart broke the One Hour World Record at the banked race track at Monthléry, south of Paris, at a speed of over 100 m.p.h.

Read more

Worldwide Motoring

juin 21, 1930

Worldwide Motoring

Robust and reliable, Morgans were also exported worldwide as with this example seen alongside the Egyptian pyramids. The factory also made more modest vehicles, the entry level machine being the Standard Runabout, plus the more luxuriously equipped DeLuxe, as well as the four-seater ‘Family’ model. Morgan even introduced a commercial Delivery Van based on the three wheeler chassis.    

Read more

The F type

janvier 1, 1933

The F type

1933 was a vintage year for Morgan, bringing in its train a large number of World Records. 1933 also saw the advent of a new model known as the F-type fitted with a Ford engine. The prototype was photographed at the back of the factory. The first production F-type was a four-seat family tourer called the F4, this was followed soon after by the F2, a two-seater version. Rather than the tubular steel chassis, the F-types used a Z-section steel ladder-frame chassis. Featuring a conventional bonnet and radiator, this was one of the most popular three-wheelers ever produced and encouraged…

Read more

The Morgan 4/4

janvier 1, 1936

The Morgan 4/4

In 1936, after a prototype had been tested in trials and on the track, a four-wheeler was exhibited at the London and Paris Exhibitions.  The new model was called the Morgan 4-4 to differentiate it from the three-wheeler, indicating four cylinders and four wheels. The car had a Z section full width steel chassis with boxed cross members and the body was an ash frame panelled in steel. The combination provided the durability of a coachbuilt car with the lightness required for a sports car. The car was an immediate success. After the launch of the Morgan 4-4 Roadster a…

Read more

Prebendary George Morgan

mai 1, 1936

Prebendary George Morgan

In 1936 H.F.S’s father Prebendary George Morgan died peacefully at home (Photo 37). George’s influence cannot be underestimated.

Read more

Le Mans

mai 21, 1937

Le Mans

The 4-4 maintained Morgan’s reputation for building fine performance cars. In 1937 a few special sports 4-4 models were built for racing fitted with 1098 c.c. Coventry Climax engines developing 42 b.h.p. with balanced crankshafts.

Read more

The Second World War

janvier 1, 1939

The Second World War

Car production stopped completely throughout the Second World War and only two departments were retained by the Company for repairs. These were the Service shop and the Spares department. Rows 3, 4 & 5 were occupied by the Standard Motor Company Aero Engines division and the factory manufactured a variety of components for the war effort, which included carburettors, aircraft undercarriage and other precision engineering work. Sir Alan Cobham’s company Flight Refuelling Ltd. took over other workshops to develop wing anti-icing and in-flight refuelling systems using a modified a Handley Page ‘Hereford’ Bomber located in the factory. In 1945 many…

Read more

The Three Wheeler Club

janvier 1, 1945

The Three Wheeler Club

The Morgan Three-Wheeler Club had been formed by a small band of enthusiasts in 1945 and rapidly grew in spite of the demise of the thee-wheeler. Shortly after its formation the Club visited the factory and photographs show a line of cars in Pickersleigh Road in front of the factory which still wears its wartime camouflage. Representing the four-wheeler enthusiasts, the Morgan Sports Car Club was formed in July 1951 with thirty members. The inaugural meeting was at ‘Ye Olde Flying Horse’ in Kegworth, Leicestershire. These two Clubs continue to support Morgan enthusiasts to this day, in the enjoyment of…

Read more

One Engine Policy

janvier 1, 1947

One Engine Policy

In 1947 the Standard Motor Co announced their ‘One Engine Policy’ which meant that after 1949 the 1267 c.c. unit would not be available to Morgan.

Read more

The Series 2

janvier 1, 1955

The Series 2

In 1955 the Morgan 4/4 was reintroduced as the Series Two. This was a car of similar design to the Plus Four but fitted with a smaller 10 h.p. Ford side valve engine and integral gear box, the object being to provide a sports car with a lively performance and appearance for the enthusiast with modest means. The 4/4 continues to use a Ford engine today, over half a century later!

Read more

The Baby doll

janvier 1, 1956

The Baby doll

During 1956 the TR 3 engine was fitted to the Plus Four, increasing the power to 100 b.h.p. which, when built with lightweight aluminium bodies, were extremely fast. Plus Fours won many production sports car races and in the U.S.A. Lew Spencer was a familiar figure on the winner’s rostrum and his Morgans, all bearing the name ‘Baby Doll’, built up a huge following. The Morgan world suffered a great loss in 1959 with the death of the company founder H.F.S. Morgan. Harry Morgan was one of the great pioneers of Motoring and very much respected throughout the industry. Unfortunately…

Read more

TOK wins Le Mans

janvier 1, 1962

TOK wins Le Mans

In 1962 success was achieved again at the 24 hours endurance race at Le Mans. A Plus Four Super Sports prepared by the company and Christopher Lawrence, competed and won the 2 litre class. The car was driven by Lawrence and Richard Sheppard-Baron and covered a total distance of 2,261 miles at an average speed of 94 m.p.h. Driver changes, refuelling and adjustments took a total of 32 minutes, so the actual running speed of the car was 97 m.p.h. After the race the car was happily driven back to England on public roads.

Read more

The Plus 4 Plus and Morgan SLR

janvier 1, 1963

The Plus 4 Plus and Morgan SLR

1963 saw the introduction of an entirely new car called the Morgan Plus 4 Plus (Photo 47). This used a conventional Plus 4 chassis, but was fitted with an elegant glass fibre body made by E.B. Plastics Ltd., of Stoke-on-Trent. The car was not successful and during the four years that it was in production, just 26 were built. In 1964 the Morgan chassis was used as the basis for another radically different car, the Morgan SLR, a racing car designed by Chris Lawrence and John Sprinzel (Photo 48). The aerodynamic body gave a top speed far in excess of…

Read more

Birth of the Plus 8

février 1, 1966

Birth of the Plus 8

In 1966 the Triumph TR engine was nearing the end of its life and a suitable replacement was sought. The Rover Motor Company offered the forthcoming aluminium Rover V8 engine.

Read more

Race Success

janvier 1, 1972

Race Success

The racing pedigree of the Morgan was enhanced in 1972 and 1975 when Robin Grey driving a Plus Eight won the Fred Dixon Modsports Championship and Chris Alford won the 1975 BRSCC Production Sports Car Championship in a 4/4.

Read more

The Morgan sports Car championships

janvier 1, 1985

The Morgan sports Car championships

The Plus Four was reintroduced in 1985 with a Fiat engine which was replaced two years later by Rover’s award winning lean burn overhead cam 2 litre engine. Also that year, Charles Morgan, grandson of the founder, joined the company full time. Bruce Stapleton, the London Morgan agent gallantly tried to put the Morgan back amongst the winners in International Sports Car Racing competing with Porsche and Lancia entries in Group 4 and drove an early Plus Eight 12,000 mile to Australia in the London Sydney Marathon setting the fastest time on a number of stages. In the Pirelli Marathon…

Read more

Aluminium chassis Plus 8

janvier 1, 1990

Aluminium chassis Plus 8

In the mid 1990s a remarkable new Morgan began to take shape.

Read more

The Original Aero 8

mars 1, 2000

The Original Aero 8

To achieve this he worked with engineer Chris Lawrence (who had driven Morgan Plus 4 TOK258 to a class victory at Le Mans in 1962). The new car was developed in the factory and on the race track over a period of five years and was finally unveiled to the public at the Geneva motor show in March 2000. The Aero 8 was a remarkably advanced car using a strong, lightweight bonded aluminium chassis and all aluminium body panels, still assembled around a wooden frame, creating a revolutionary new Morgan sports car. The B.M.W. 4.4 litre V8 engine gave the…

Read more

The Aero 8 GT

janvier 1, 2002

The Aero 8 GT

Morgan returned to LeMans once again in 2002, the 40th anniversary of Chris Lawrence and Richard Sheppard-Baron’s victory, with a racing version of the new car called the Aero 8 GT.  Driven by Richard Stanton, Steve Hyde and Richard Hay, the car suffered recurring vibration from the back axle which was replaced during the race, however, it was engine failure that eventually forced retirement after 17 hours. Despite failing to finish, it was a most creditable achievement for a new car with only a few months development and on such a small budget. Morgan’s entry for the following year’s race…

Read more

RIP Peter Morgan

février 1, 2003

RIP Peter Morgan

In 2003 the Morgan community and motor industry in general lost a most remarkable man with the death of Peter Morgan.

Read more

The Aeromax

janvier 1, 2005

The Aeromax

Following its introduction, the Aero 8 was continually refined and updated, and then in 2005 a stunning new fixed-head version called the AeroMax was launched. Inspired by Morgan enthusiast Prince Eric Sturdza, head of Banque Baring Brothers Sturdza in Geneva, the elegant design was the work of a talented young graduate from Coventry University, Matthew Humphries. Although it was originally intended that this should be a one-off vehicle, such was the interest shown it was decided to put the car into production, but as a very special limited edition of just 100. All were sold within a few months of…

Read more

The Roadster V6

janvier 1, 2006

The Roadster V6

Throughout the development of the Aero models, the traditional cars continued in production in ever-increasing numbers. The famous Plus 8 was discontinued, to be replaced by the Roadster V6. This new model, although superficially similar to the Plus 8, used the Ford 3 litre V6 engine and maintained the tradition of having a high-performance classic in the range.

Read more

The Lifecar

janvier 1, 2008

The Lifecar

To emphasise the Morgan Motor Company’s commitment to environmentally clean, efficient sports cars, in 2008 the remarkable LIFE car was developed in collaboration with QinetiQ and other high-tech organisations. This advanced hydrogen fuel cell powered car is designed to achieve the equivalent of 150 m.p.g., using electrical power stored in a bank of ultra capacitors and fed to 4 super-efficient electric motor-generators connected directly to each driving wheel. The system includes regenerative braking technology, thus capturing up to 50% of kinetic energy during braking and deceleration which would otherwise be lost. The chassis and body are pure Morgan, using a…

Read more

Celebrations

janvier 1, 2009

Celebrations

2009 was a very special year for Morgan Motor Company when the factory and enthusiasts from around the world celebrated 100 years of manufacturing the most iconic of British sports cars

Read more

The Aero Supersports

mars 1, 2009

The Aero Supersports

To mark the Centenary the new Aero model was launched to much acclaim. Called the Aero Super Sports, it revived the name given to the high performance three-wheeler in the 1930s.  Another new car appeared to celebrate the centenary when Morgan added the Super Sports Pedal Car to the range. This very special limited edition machine for the younger enthusiast is hand-made in the factory in much the same way as the full size cars, using a wooden body frame and aluminium panels.  

Read more

The Morgan GT3

mai 1, 2009

The Morgan GT3

To emphasise the importance of motor sport to the Morgan brand, two of the new Aero Super Sports were entered in the GT3 race series by a French team owned and run by former Renault Grand Prix drivers Jean Pierre Jabouille and Jacques Laffite. The team won the first two races of the season at Silverstone, a magnificent achievement at the start of the centenary celebrations, and throughout the season ran consistently in the top five cars of a grid of 35 of the best sports cars in the world. Without a controversial penalty imposed by the FIA, Morgan might…

Read more

HFS Born

août 1, 1881

HFS Born

The founder and the man who guided the destiny of the Morgan car for almost fifty years, Henry Fredrick Stanley Morgan was born in the village of Moreton Jeffries, Herefordshire,  in August 1881.

Read more

Motor Car Wins…

janvier 1, 1901

Motor Car Wins…

In 1901 H.F.S. was apprenticed to two of the greatest railway engineers of the period, William Dean and George Jackson Churchward, Chief Engineers of the G.W.R. Railway Works at Swindon.

Read more

The First Garage

mai 1, 1905

The First Garage

In May 1905, with the encouragement and financial support from his ever-enthusiastic father George, H.F.S. purchased a house called Chestnut Villa in Worcester Road , Malvern Link, a short distance from the railway station and built a small garage alongside. Here he set up business to attended to the needs of the Edwardian motorists and became a dealer for Darracq, Wolseley, Siddeley and Rover cars. Harry’s close friend Leslie Bacon (another motor car enthusiast who had served an apprenticeship with the railways) became his business partner and took up lodgings with Harry in Chestnut Villa. A skilled motor engineer from…

Read more

Founded on an Icon

mai 1, 1909

Founded on an Icon

The success of the Morgan Motor Company was founded on an icon, the Morgan Three-Wheeler. This brilliant but simple design by H.F.S. Morgan became one of the most successful lightweight cars of the early days of motoring.

Read more

The Runabouts

novembre 1, 1910

The Runabouts

The first production Morgans were simple single-seat machines steered with a tiller and powered by either a single cylinder 4 h.p. engine or an 8h.p. V-twin engine made by the London firm J.A. Prestwich. A patent was granted, the patent drawings being produced by a bright youth who was later to become famous as Sir John Black of the Standard Motor Company. The Runabouts (as the machines were to be called) were unveiled to the public at the Olympia motorcycle show in London in November 1910. Despite the interest shown just a few of these were built and sold, mainly…

Read more

Harrods

février 1, 1911

Harrods

The following year a two-seat ‘Runabout’ was developed, equipped with wheel steering and even a hood. This proved a huge commercial success when it appeared at Olympia in 1911.

Read more

Four Seater Runabout

novembre 1, 1911

Four Seater Runabout

New models were added to the Morgan range, and for the first time a four-seater “Family” Runabout was available

Read more

The Cyclecars

mai 4, 1912

The Cyclecars

The factory experimented with other designs such as a four-seater for Mr Morgan and his family, although this car didn’t go into production at that time. Cars were built in ever-increasing numbers in Worcester Road, Malvern Link. Not only was the Morgan one of the first Cyclecars, it was without doubt, the best engineered, the most reliable, and the most successful vehicle in its class which set the standards for all other manufacturers to follow. It featured a simple two speed transmission (fast and very fast), but no reverse gear (to go backwards required gravity, or the driver had to…

Read more

Racing Success

août 1, 1913

Racing Success

In the few years leading up to the outbreak of war in 1914, Morgans had secured 10 British and World Records for various classes of cyclecars, won 24 Gold Medals in major reliability trials and had achieved numerous victories on the race track.

Read more

Cyclecar Grand Prix

octobre 20, 1913

Cyclecar Grand Prix

From the start it was very much a family business and Mr H.F.S Morgan’s sister, Miss Dorothy Morgan, was a regular entrant in reliability trials gaining many first class awards in a Morgan three-wheeler.

Read more

Pickersleigh Road

décembre 1, 1913

Pickersleigh Road

In December 1913, H.F.S. purchased a plot of land on Pickersleigh Road, Malvern Link, from Earl Beauchamp. This was open farmland just a quarter of a mile from the Worcester Road factory and here, in the summer of 1914, two large workshops were built.

Read more

Peace Restored

octobre 16, 1919

Peace Restored

When peace returned in 1918 Morgan was one of the first manufacturers to resume full production mainly due to the simplicity of the design.

Read more

The “Aero”

janvier 1, 1920

The “Aero”

Another special Morgan, inspired by Capt. Albert Ball’s specially bodied Grand Prix car, was introduced in 1920. This was called the Aero in recognition of the famous aviator.   So advanced had H.F.S. Morgan’s first designs been, that little alteration, apart from bodywork modifications, were needed for several years.  The car retained its sturdy, lightweight construction and the two-speed transmission system remained in production until the early 1930s. Electric lights replaced acetylene lamps and starters were added. As a result of experience gained in reliability trials, front wheel brakes were installed, the Morgan car being one of the first in…

Read more

Brooklands

janvier 21, 1921

Brooklands

Throughout the 1920s the Morgan continued to have success after success in racing and was so fast that at Brooklands it was required to start a lap behind four wheeled cars in the same class.

Read more

Factory Expansion

mai 21, 1925

Factory Expansion

Throughout the 1920s the Pickersleigh Road factory had been enlarged still further and this artists impression from 1925 shows six rows of workshops.

Read more

The Super Aero

mai 21, 1927

The Super Aero

Racing successes encouraged the introduction of another sporting model in 1927, called the Super Aero with lowered streamlined bodywork. Following the successes of the earlier cars, the Super Aero was immediately in action on the trials hills and on the race track.  Not only were the cars dominant in motorsport, they were now one of the most fashionable machines to be seen driving on the open road.

Read more

One hour World Record

janvier 1, 1930

One hour World Record

In 1930 Mrs. Gwenda Stewart broke the One Hour World Record at the banked race track at Monthléry, south of Paris, at a speed of over 100 m.p.h.

Read more

Worldwide Motoring

juin 21, 1930

Worldwide Motoring

Robust and reliable, Morgans were also exported worldwide as with this example seen alongside the Egyptian pyramids. The factory also made more modest vehicles, the entry level machine being the Standard Runabout, plus the more luxuriously equipped DeLuxe, as well as the four-seater ‘Family’ model. Morgan even introduced a commercial Delivery Van based on the three wheeler chassis.    

Read more

The F type

janvier 1, 1933

The F type

1933 was a vintage year for Morgan, bringing in its train a large number of World Records. 1933 also saw the advent of a new model known as the F-type fitted with a Ford engine. The prototype was photographed at the back of the factory. The first production F-type was a four-seat family tourer called the F4, this was followed soon after by the F2, a two-seater version. Rather than the tubular steel chassis, the F-types used a Z-section steel ladder-frame chassis. Featuring a conventional bonnet and radiator, this was one of the most popular three-wheelers ever produced and encouraged…

Read more

The Morgan 4/4

janvier 1, 1936

The Morgan 4/4

In 1936, after a prototype had been tested in trials and on the track, a four-wheeler was exhibited at the London and Paris Exhibitions.  The new model was called the Morgan 4-4 to differentiate it from the three-wheeler, indicating four cylinders and four wheels. The car had a Z section full width steel chassis with boxed cross members and the body was an ash frame panelled in steel. The combination provided the durability of a coachbuilt car with the lightness required for a sports car. The car was an immediate success. After the launch of the Morgan 4-4 Roadster a…

Read more

Prebendary George Morgan

mai 1, 1936

Prebendary George Morgan

In 1936 H.F.S’s father Prebendary George Morgan died peacefully at home (Photo 37). George’s influence cannot be underestimated.

Read more

Le Mans

mai 21, 1937

Le Mans

The 4-4 maintained Morgan’s reputation for building fine performance cars. In 1937 a few special sports 4-4 models were built for racing fitted with 1098 c.c. Coventry Climax engines developing 42 b.h.p. with balanced crankshafts.

Read more

The Second World War

janvier 1, 1939

The Second World War

Car production stopped completely throughout the Second World War and only two departments were retained by the Company for repairs. These were the Service shop and the Spares department. Rows 3, 4 & 5 were occupied by the Standard Motor Company Aero Engines division and the factory manufactured a variety of components for the war effort, which included carburettors, aircraft undercarriage and other precision engineering work. Sir Alan Cobham’s company Flight Refuelling Ltd. took over other workshops to develop wing anti-icing and in-flight refuelling systems using a modified a Handley Page ‘Hereford’ Bomber located in the factory. In 1945 many…

Read more

The Three Wheeler Club

janvier 1, 1945

The Three Wheeler Club

The Morgan Three-Wheeler Club had been formed by a small band of enthusiasts in 1945 and rapidly grew in spite of the demise of the thee-wheeler. Shortly after its formation the Club visited the factory and photographs show a line of cars in Pickersleigh Road in front of the factory which still wears its wartime camouflage. Representing the four-wheeler enthusiasts, the Morgan Sports Car Club was formed in July 1951 with thirty members. The inaugural meeting was at ‘Ye Olde Flying Horse’ in Kegworth, Leicestershire. These two Clubs continue to support Morgan enthusiasts to this day, in the enjoyment of…

Read more

One Engine Policy

janvier 1, 1947

One Engine Policy

In 1947 the Standard Motor Co announced their ‘One Engine Policy’ which meant that after 1949 the 1267 c.c. unit would not be available to Morgan.

Read more

The Series 2

janvier 1, 1955

The Series 2

In 1955 the Morgan 4/4 was reintroduced as the Series Two. This was a car of similar design to the Plus Four but fitted with a smaller 10 h.p. Ford side valve engine and integral gear box, the object being to provide a sports car with a lively performance and appearance for the enthusiast with modest means. The 4/4 continues to use a Ford engine today, over half a century later!

Read more

The Baby doll

janvier 1, 1956

The Baby doll

During 1956 the TR 3 engine was fitted to the Plus Four, increasing the power to 100 b.h.p. which, when built with lightweight aluminium bodies, were extremely fast. Plus Fours won many production sports car races and in the U.S.A. Lew Spencer was a familiar figure on the winner’s rostrum and his Morgans, all bearing the name ‘Baby Doll’, built up a huge following. The Morgan world suffered a great loss in 1959 with the death of the company founder H.F.S. Morgan. Harry Morgan was one of the great pioneers of Motoring and very much respected throughout the industry. Unfortunately…

Read more

TOK wins Le Mans

janvier 1, 1962

TOK wins Le Mans

In 1962 success was achieved again at the 24 hours endurance race at Le Mans. A Plus Four Super Sports prepared by the company and Christopher Lawrence, competed and won the 2 litre class. The car was driven by Lawrence and Richard Sheppard-Baron and covered a total distance of 2,261 miles at an average speed of 94 m.p.h. Driver changes, refuelling and adjustments took a total of 32 minutes, so the actual running speed of the car was 97 m.p.h. After the race the car was happily driven back to England on public roads.

Read more

The Plus 4 Plus and Morgan SLR

janvier 1, 1963

The Plus 4 Plus and Morgan SLR

1963 saw the introduction of an entirely new car called the Morgan Plus 4 Plus (Photo 47). This used a conventional Plus 4 chassis, but was fitted with an elegant glass fibre body made by E.B. Plastics Ltd., of Stoke-on-Trent. The car was not successful and during the four years that it was in production, just 26 were built. In 1964 the Morgan chassis was used as the basis for another radically different car, the Morgan SLR, a racing car designed by Chris Lawrence and John Sprinzel (Photo 48). The aerodynamic body gave a top speed far in excess of…

Read more

Birth of the Plus 8

février 1, 1966

Birth of the Plus 8

In 1966 the Triumph TR engine was nearing the end of its life and a suitable replacement was sought. The Rover Motor Company offered the forthcoming aluminium Rover V8 engine.

Read more

Race Success

janvier 1, 1972

Race Success

The racing pedigree of the Morgan was enhanced in 1972 and 1975 when Robin Grey driving a Plus Eight won the Fred Dixon Modsports Championship and Chris Alford won the 1975 BRSCC Production Sports Car Championship in a 4/4.

Read more

The Morgan sports Car championships

janvier 1, 1985

The Morgan sports Car championships

The Plus Four was reintroduced in 1985 with a Fiat engine which was replaced two years later by Rover’s award winning lean burn overhead cam 2 litre engine. Also that year, Charles Morgan, grandson of the founder, joined the company full time. Bruce Stapleton, the London Morgan agent gallantly tried to put the Morgan back amongst the winners in International Sports Car Racing competing with Porsche and Lancia entries in Group 4 and drove an early Plus Eight 12,000 mile to Australia in the London Sydney Marathon setting the fastest time on a number of stages. In the Pirelli Marathon…

Read more

Aluminium chassis Plus 8

janvier 1, 1990

Aluminium chassis Plus 8

In the mid 1990s a remarkable new Morgan began to take shape.

Read more

The Original Aero 8

mars 1, 2000

The Original Aero 8

To achieve this he worked with engineer Chris Lawrence (who had driven Morgan Plus 4 TOK258 to a class victory at Le Mans in 1962). The new car was developed in the factory and on the race track over a period of five years and was finally unveiled to the public at the Geneva motor show in March 2000. The Aero 8 was a remarkably advanced car using a strong, lightweight bonded aluminium chassis and all aluminium body panels, still assembled around a wooden frame, creating a revolutionary new Morgan sports car. The B.M.W. 4.4 litre V8 engine gave the…

Read more

The Aero 8 GT

janvier 1, 2002

The Aero 8 GT

Morgan returned to LeMans once again in 2002, the 40th anniversary of Chris Lawrence and Richard Sheppard-Baron’s victory, with a racing version of the new car called the Aero 8 GT.  Driven by Richard Stanton, Steve Hyde and Richard Hay, the car suffered recurring vibration from the back axle which was replaced during the race, however, it was engine failure that eventually forced retirement after 17 hours. Despite failing to finish, it was a most creditable achievement for a new car with only a few months development and on such a small budget. Morgan’s entry for the following year’s race…

Read more

RIP Peter Morgan

février 1, 2003

RIP Peter Morgan

In 2003 the Morgan community and motor industry in general lost a most remarkable man with the death of Peter Morgan.

Read more

The Aeromax

janvier 1, 2005

The Aeromax

Following its introduction, the Aero 8 was continually refined and updated, and then in 2005 a stunning new fixed-head version called the AeroMax was launched. Inspired by Morgan enthusiast Prince Eric Sturdza, head of Banque Baring Brothers Sturdza in Geneva, the elegant design was the work of a talented young graduate from Coventry University, Matthew Humphries. Although it was originally intended that this should be a one-off vehicle, such was the interest shown it was decided to put the car into production, but as a very special limited edition of just 100. All were sold within a few months of…

Read more

The Roadster V6

janvier 1, 2006

The Roadster V6

Throughout the development of the Aero models, the traditional cars continued in production in ever-increasing numbers. The famous Plus 8 was discontinued, to be replaced by the Roadster V6. This new model, although superficially similar to the Plus 8, used the Ford 3 litre V6 engine and maintained the tradition of having a high-performance classic in the range.

Read more

The Lifecar

janvier 1, 2008

The Lifecar

To emphasise the Morgan Motor Company’s commitment to environmentally clean, efficient sports cars, in 2008 the remarkable LIFE car was developed in collaboration with QinetiQ and other high-tech organisations. This advanced hydrogen fuel cell powered car is designed to achieve the equivalent of 150 m.p.g., using electrical power stored in a bank of ultra capacitors and fed to 4 super-efficient electric motor-generators connected directly to each driving wheel. The system includes regenerative braking technology, thus capturing up to 50% of kinetic energy during braking and deceleration which would otherwise be lost. The chassis and body are pure Morgan, using a…

Read more

Celebrations

janvier 1, 2009

Celebrations

2009 was a very special year for Morgan Motor Company when the factory and enthusiasts from around the world celebrated 100 years of manufacturing the most iconic of British sports cars

Read more

The Aero Supersports

mars 1, 2009

The Aero Supersports

To mark the Centenary the new Aero model was launched to much acclaim. Called the Aero Super Sports, it revived the name given to the high performance three-wheeler in the 1930s.  Another new car appeared to celebrate the centenary when Morgan added the Super Sports Pedal Car to the range. This very special limited edition machine for the younger enthusiast is hand-made in the factory in much the same way as the full size cars, using a wooden body frame and aluminium panels.  

Read more

The Morgan GT3

mai 1, 2009

The Morgan GT3

To emphasise the importance of motor sport to the Morgan brand, two of the new Aero Super Sports were entered in the GT3 race series by a French team owned and run by former Renault Grand Prix drivers Jean Pierre Jabouille and Jacques Laffite. The team won the first two races of the season at Silverstone, a magnificent achievement at the start of the centenary celebrations, and throughout the season ran consistently in the top five cars of a grid of 35 of the best sports cars in the world. Without a controversial penalty imposed by the FIA, Morgan might…

Read more