The First Garage

In May 1905, with the encouragement and financial support from his ever-enthusiastic father George, H.F.S. purchased a house called Chestnut Villa in Worcester Road , Malvern Link, a short distance from the railway station and built a small garage alongside. Here he set up business to attended to the needs of the Edwardian motorists and became a dealer for Darracq, Wolseley, Siddeley and Rover cars. Harry’s close friend Leslie Bacon (another motor car enthusiast who had served an apprenticeship with the railways) became his business partner and took up lodgings with Harry in Chestnut Villa. A skilled motor engineer from Birmingham called Alfie Hales was appointed foreman of the workshops. H.F.S. also ran Malvern’s first omnibus service with regular runs between various districts around the Malvern Hills.  In 1906 a second garage was established in the nearby city of Worcester, (close to Foregate Street station for easy access on the train) but this branch of the business closed little more than a year later. However, despite the success of the Malvern Link garage, Morgan’s passion for engineering meant that he was soon experimenting with ideas for a motor car of his own design.